Bear Aware: Working in Bear Country Course Overview
This Bear Aware: Working in Bear Country course covers general bear facts including knowledge about their habitat and behaviour. By focusing on how humans contribute to problem bears, the course stresses both prevention and outlines best practices for increasing your chances of survival in the event of a bear encounter or attack. The course also discusses safety procedures for personnel working in the field, including procedures for setting up and maintaining a safe camp.
Upon completion of the Bear Aware: Working in Bear Country course, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between black bears and grizzlies
- Identify potential food sources for bears
- Understand the human role in creating bear problems
- Understand the concepts home range and personal space
- Identify bears’ body language and indicators of stress
- Know how to set up a camp area that will be as safe as possible
- Understand what bear deterrents are and when to use them
- Comprehend the DOs and DON’Ts for minimizing the risks of bear encounters
- Understand the differences between a bear’s defensive and aggressive behavior
Bear Aware: Working in Bear Country Course Format
This is a self-paced online course presented in 2 modules:
- The Bear Essentials
- Working in Bear Country
Participants may leave and resume the course at any time. Duration will depend on the participant and any prior knowledge of the subject-matter. Average course completion time is about 2-3 hours.
Evaluation and Certification
Participants must demonstrate their understanding of the course content by obtaining a score of 100% on a multiple choice test. Participants who do not achieve 100% can review the module content and re-try as necessary to complete the course. Please note that test questions are randomly selected from a test bank, making each test unique. A printable certificate is available upon successful completion of the course.
Please note that course access information will be emailed to you within 1 business day, as this course is fulfilled by a third party.